Friday, September 23, 2005

AC/DC- Family Jewels DVD

I don't buy a lot of music dvd's just because tend not to watch too many of them more than once. Yesterday my daughter was sick so I decided to buy this dvd so I could watch it while I watched her because I knew she wasn't feeling up to doing a whole lot but lay around. This is not exactly that new as I think it has been out for maybe six months. It's a two dvd set with 20 songs on each disc and the clips cover the years from 1975-1980. The first dvd is all Bon Scott and the second is all Brian Johnson plus there is a booklet with a lot of pictures and some notes. I watched the whole thing on order and didn't skip through anything even though there are clips on here I have already seen many times. The Bon Scott disc has some live clips, some promo clips and some early TV performances. In the first clip for Baby, please don't go we see Scott in a milkmaid dress wearing a Heidi wig, I kid you not. I wonder what the TV audience in Australia thought of this in 1975? Still it's very and we see much of why Bon Scott was such a good entertainer throughout this disc. The live songs from 1978 are some of the best videos on this entire set as you really see this band at their peak and the energy is just flowing. The promo clip for It's a long way to the top is great as well as we see the band pretending to play while on a flatbed truck going through downtown Melbourne. They also have several bagpipers accompanying them. The quality of the videos is very good considering the age and how obscure some of these are. I had only seen maybe five or six of these before this disc. Now I am a huge fan of Bon Scott era AC/DC so this was the stuff that I bought the disc for. I like some of the Brian Johnson material, but not nearly as much. However there were plenty of songs on disc two that I had never seen. The first four clips on disc two are all from Back in Black and unfortunately they just set the band on a stage with no audience and they run through the songs. It looks like they were all filmed at the same time as it's the same stage and the band wear the same clothes for all four songs. Let's get it up is supposed to look live and it's decent, but For those about to rock is even better as Brian Johnson seems more animated than unusual. Next is two clips from Flick of the switch where it's just the band playing in the studio. My only complaint about dvd quality is with these clips as the picture seems a little shakey on both songs. This is also strange because I remember seeing the title track clip on MTV several times and I don't recall it being shaky. Next up is a real oddity. Apparently in 1985 the band released a home video for Fly on the wall and I always assumed it was just videos, but really it's like a mini-movie with things going on besides the band playing. The story had the band playing at some dive and while they are playing we see characters in the club doing different things while the songs are going on. Some things have to do with the songs being played and some don't. They actually play half of the songs from the Fly on the wall album. Oh and there is a badly animated fly that pops up here and there. The band look good and seem fairly comfortable. The rest of the stuff going on at the movie within a movie ranges from mildly funny to just odd and dated, but still it was interesting to see this mini movie. The rest of the dvd is all videos that most of us have seen on MTV before. Who made who is here and it's as good as I remember it although a bit dated and then the rest of the disc is clips from Blow up your video and Razor's Edge.
The Bon Scott disc was great and the Brian Johnson disc was decent. Overall a really good deal as I got 40 videos for only $14.99. Now if they would put the Let there be rock movie on dvd or even a whole Bon Scott era concert on dvd then that be a must buy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home