Friday, January 27, 2006

Next week will be vinyl week

I have not had a theme for the week before unless you count my top ten countdown last month, but I will be doing one next week. It is going to be vinyl week, no this doesn't involve me sitting on an old couch that squeaks when I move on it, but rather vinyl as in albums, lp's, you know the round black discs that people used to listen to and some idiots would scratch up. I probably won't post every day next week, but all the posts I do make will be about this one topic in some way. I will be doing my monthly review of a 20 year old album at the end of next week. It will be Ozzy's the Ultimate Sin and I will listen to it on, you guessed it vinyl. I also plan on discussing the pros and cons of vinyl and the big event of the week will be two lists of recordings worth owning on vinyl. I will have one list for the 1970's and one for the 80's and they will be called the vinyl countdown. There may not be any record enthusiasts out there and you may think I am really a dinosaur for talking about this, but it will only be for one week. I may do other themes every once in a while as well. I am considering doing a movie week where I will just do reviews of heavy metal related movies for one week. We will see how it goes next week with vinyl week.

7 Comments:

Blogger T-_Bone said...

While I am not a vinyl fan per se, I still have a couple of things on Vinyl that I occaisonally listen to that are unavailable on CD. I look forward to the posts.

BTW - I had Ultimate Sin on vinyl at one time, but most of my vinyl is now gone.

10:13 AM  
Blogger David Amulet said...

I came of musical age as cassettes had replaced 8-tracks and vinyl was also losing market share to tapes. Very soon thereafter, the CD came out, and I jumped in early--so most of my circa 900 albums are CDs.

I'd say I only have about 25 vinyl albums anymore, but I can't seem to part with them. There is just something about foldout artwork that a small jewel case just can't match.

-- david

10:42 AM  
Blogger UnHoly Diver said...

I still have around 200 vinyl albums, ranging from '64 to the late 80s, yet no turntable. Pardon me while I go sulk...

12:45 PM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

Ben- I have a lot of import and rare stuff back between 86-89, but I have no idea how muc it's worth now. The baby is doing good thanks. I am doing most of the changing of my daughter and my wife is doing most of the changing on the baby.

T-bone- I used to have the Ultimate Sin on tape and cd, but now I only have it on lp.

David- I bought a lot of tapes as well back in the day. I bought a lot of cool albums between say 91-94 at yard sales, Goodwill stores and record stores clearing stuff out. I remember buying a lot of import albums new for $2.00 and less in like 1992 because the stores were getting rid of them.

Bruce- I bought a new stereo three years ago and I got new RCA turntable that had been discontinued cheap to go with it.

1:10 PM  
Blogger :P fuzzbox said...

I'm with David on this one. The artwork can't be duplicated on a plastic case. In this case, no matter what anyone says size does matter.

6:03 PM  
Blogger Pixie said...

Bruce, I too had loys of vinyl but no turntable!!

David I too remember cassesttes being the thing to have , looking back sfter the luxury of CD,s where you can skip with east to just one track, play said track over and over again Its a wonder we wernt driven crazy with all that FF - Rew "dam just gone too far past the song" so back to rewind.Also my tapes had a nasty habit of unwinding and wrapping itself around the cassette player.
But I rember it well Sunday nights with the radio on taping my favourite tracks from the Top 40 singles chart( and yes I used to steal other peoples cassettes and block the holes with tape so that I could re-recored over them!! )

10:20 PM  
Blogger UnHoly Diver said...

I remember back in the day, every now and then, a book of album art would come out and I would go snatch it up. I would spend hours looking through all of the different artwork and thinking just how cool it all was. Sadly, I no longer have them.
Also, I remember when some records were released with the artwork on them. If I'm not mistaken, Iron Maiden's Number of the Beast was one.

10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home