Saturday, June 03, 2006

Scorpions-Blackout, 1982

Consistent is a word that perhaps best defines the career of this long time band has had. They have changed sounds a little here and there, but have had a general sound that they have maintained over the years . I think the Scorpions real prime was the period in from 1979 until 1984. This included Lovedrive, Animal Magnetism, Love at first sting and this album Blackout. Most fans of this band agree that one of their major strengths is their ability to do heavy rock songs like the title track to this album, "Now" and "Dynamite" and be able to turn right around and produce ballads like "No one like you". I think a lot of their material always had a great flow to it. It's not clunky or choppy, most of the songs come on and they just go. I don't if that came natural and they were just that strong at writing or if it really took a lot of practice to perfect that sound. I would have to think that they made a producer's job fairly easy because it just seems like he wouldn't have to touch up much on their music to make is sound good. "Blackout" is probably my favorite album as it was the first album of theirs that I really got into. I think it alternates well between rockers and ballads and manages to keep things interesting all through the album. I was fortunate enough to see the Scorpions in 1988 at Van Halen's Monsters of rock. I mainly went to see Metallica who were good, but the Scorpions played fourth of five bands and they were unreal. I will never forget how they came running onto the stage in 85 degree heat and tore into "Blackout" and they never let up for 90 minutes. Van Halen had no chance of competing with that and you could even see it in the crowd. The Scorpions ruled that day and they are still going strong over thirty years after they began.

6 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

I saw the Scorpions on the Savage Amusement Tour back in 1988. I agree that they were awesome in concert. They got grouped in with the hair band crowd, but they were much better than that.

7:00 AM  
Blogger :P fuzzbox said...

The Scorps rule Live and in studio. But I can't understand a damn thing they say in interviews.

8:57 AM  
Blogger On My Watch said...

You are absolutely correct! I saw them at Monsters also that year in Denver - and lemme tell ya, the altitude didn't bother that guy's lungs one bit. They rocked the hell out of the place and totally outdid Sammy Hagar who apparently couldn't handle the thin-air factor.

11:01 AM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

Mike-I agree, they shouldn't have been lumped in with the hair metal stuff. They survived that though and are still going.

Fuzz-I agree, they are solid. They also survived numerous line-up changes.

Onmywatch-I wish I would have gotten to see them more than once because they were so good.

6:37 PM  
Blogger David Amulet said...

I think you are right -- Scorpions are just SOLID. "Winds of Change" left me unimpressed ... but I just focus on the older material.

-- david

3:23 AM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

David-Winds of chance was okay, but it kind of saved Crazy World. Crazy World is a slightly underrated album, but it needed the help of a hit single to get it going.

6:52 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home