Friday, October 13, 2006

Black Sabbath-The Mob Rules, 1981

I don't know what Black Sabbath were looking for when they needed a replacement for Ozzy in 1979. What they got was one of the most consistent and powerful singers in metal. Ronnie James Dio was a good fit overall. When Heaven and hell came out in 1980, the style was different but Dio added a much needed surge of energy. No matter how much you like the original line-up, the facts are that Technical Ecstasy and Never say die were not that good. Sabbath were back on the map, but the second release with Dio was going to be even better. Bill Ward was out Vinnie Appice was in behind the drums, but other than that it was similar to Heaven and hell. The main reason I prefer this album is that Heaven and hell has a few fillers and this one does not. "Turn up the night" roars on with no build-up and the solo is crazy with Iommi just peeling off those odd tones that were so much a part of his style. There is also a moment in the middle of the song where Dio just reaches out with his voice and just elevates the level of the song with ease. "Voodoo" is next with a more subtle approach, but a strong beat keeps it going. Up third is "The sign of the southern cross" which sees band bringing more power than many critics thought they had left. It's a slow song that's heavier than a lot of bands were doing at the time. The odd instrumental "E5150" stays around a little before going into the title track. "The Mob Rules" is faster, but just as heavy yet very smooth. "Country Girl" is simple yet extremely catchy with it's simple rhythm. "Slipping away" allows to show his range and the band to show some pace changes. "Falling off the edge of the world" almost shows some shades of earlier Sabbath and quite honestly it;s a big monster of song that's nearly perfect. "Over and over" closes it out is grnad fashion luring you into a sense of it being a slow, calm song, but then Tony just lays it out with the solo. Wow, if you have not heard this or have snubbed it because there is not Ozzy then you are missing out. Probably one of the best albums of Dio's career and a top ten album in 1981 (which was a very good year for metal).

**On Saturday I will wrap up Black Sabbath week and tell what's coming up next week.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey...Nice looking blog, and even better content. I've been looking for some people that are blogging about music.
Being a fan of the earlier Sabbath, I wont disagree that getting Dio worked for them. Even though I didnt care much for them after they did pick him up, I also didnt care for the last couple of albums with Ozzy. Yeah, there are a couple of songs that I liked, but nothing like the early albums that would hold my attention from start to finish, and still do to this day. I havent heard anything with Dio singing other than the Heaven and Hell album, I will have to check out some of the others you mentioned.

Gonna save your link so I can come back. Take it easy.

9:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great album! We used to listen to this one over and over when I was a kid. I agree that Mob Rules is better than Heaven and Hell. There's not a bad song on this one. My favorite tracks are The Sign of the Southern Lord, Falling off the Edge of the World and Over and Over.

5:33 AM  
Blogger On My Watch said...

Dio just has one of those perfect voices for this kind of music. love him.

5:53 AM  
Blogger David Amulet said...

I actually enjoy Heaven and Hell more than this one ... but as usual you make some good points to back up your opinion.

-- david

6:09 AM  
Blogger Bobs B & B said...

I never really got into Mob Rules, loved 'Sign Of The Southern Cross' but that was about it, after this review though I'm going to give it another listen to....

8:22 AM  
Blogger DPTH International said...

As a metalhead, I'm ashamed of the lack of Sabbath I'm familiar with and by this week on your blog, I shalt have go out and discover for myself the real Sabbath. Great Job!

10:37 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home