Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Tigertailz-Beserk, 1990

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Perhaps another one of those bands that only I enjoy, but I am certainly fond of this band. A glam band from Wales that all too often gets compared to Poison. Okay, they sound a little like Poison, but they are much heavier and far better musicians overall. It's a shame all glam wasn't done this way. It's big, lively and most of all very fun. Vocalist Kim Hooker isn't quite as good or unique as original vocalist Steevi Jaimz, but the music is better here than on their debut. I think they find a good balance between melodic and frantic at times. They know to go at it, but they know how to write some very catchy tunes as well. They are easily head and shoulders above about 90% of the glam and hard rock coming out around the same time. Maybe where they were from kept them from developing the over processed sound that too many American bands suffered from around the same time. Still it's certainly a kicker and worth a listen. I am not real big into the ballad "Heaven", but the rest is quite good. My favorites are "Sick Sex", "Action City", "I can fight dirty too", "Love overload" and "Squeeze it dry". I would recommend it for fans of Poison, Faster Pussycat, Motley Crue and Ratt. This was re-released back in late 2005 and goes for around $10. Oh and that is singer Kim Hooker on the cover in a touched up photo.

14 Comments:

Blogger Drizel said...

That is one kick ass cover, they sound way kewl:)

11:20 PM  
Blogger Fabrulana said...

Unfortunately I saw these guys' photo in a mag way back then before I heard their music. I know it is superficial but I couldn't get myself to listen to them after that ...

11:41 PM  
Blogger captain corky said...

I've never heard of them...How's that possible?

3:54 AM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

etain-It is a good cover.

andre-I thought the same thing when I first saw them, but then I heard them. They also did some good covers of Metallica's Creeping Death and Megadeth's Peace Sells. These are on an album of b sides called Banzai.

Captain Corky-They were bigger in the UK than they were here.

4:10 AM  
Blogger David Amulet said...

Once again, you've opened my eyes to a band I didn't know. This one sounds good to me--do you know if the album is still available?

-- david

6:10 AM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

David-It's still availible.

6:46 AM  
Blogger DPTH International said...

Interesting. Is the Poison comparison more debut (Cat Dragged In...) or say Flesh And Blood Poison? And the cover is pretty cool too.

9:58 AM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

dpth-The Poison comparison is more visually and Look what the dragged in as far as sound. Original Tigertailz singer Steevi Jaimz told a story about Guns and Roses. It goes that G-n-R were touring in the UK in 1988 and were anxious to frequent a club in London. They went and Tigertailz were playing. Apparently Slash made some comment about being in shock that he couldn't escape the Poison type bands even though they were so far away from LA.

10:04 AM  
Blogger Bill said...

I have the first album on vinyl but havn't listened to it in ages! Decent sleaze rock if I remember correctly but I never checked out any subsequent albums. Livin Without You is the only track I can remember!

They are still about however - the current version of Tigertailz played a gig in Cardiff the other week.

10:25 AM  
Blogger Hard Rock Hideout said...

This is one of those bands that I always wanted to check out, but for some reason fell off my radar. I am going to have to give them another look. Thanks Mark!

10:33 AM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

Bill-I have the first on lp as well, because the cd goes for more than I can afford.

Hardrock hideout-This one and the b-sides album Banzai are both like $10 a piece new. Both are very good. They did a new album last year called Beserk 2.0, but I have yet to hear it.

1:28 PM  
Blogger Aunt Jackie said...

I am not familiar with them, but I agree that cover Rocks! Very cool.
Now that I read this, I'll have to check them out!

2:54 PM  
Blogger Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

I remember borrowing them from you back in the day and recently you might've spun a song or two. Pretty good band.

8:55 PM  
Blogger Hard Rock Hideout said...

I picked this up off of Ebay today for $5.48 plus shipping. :)

1:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home