Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Lesser of two evils

Here is the debut of a new segment that will pit albums by two bands I was never too thrilled about against one another. The match-up is Britny Fox's debut
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
versus
Danger Danger's debut

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I will compare these two based on vocals, guitars, rhythm section, production and originality (one combined category) and the last category is who rocks more. I listened to both albums back to back twice and here are my results.

Vocals
"Dizzy" Dean Davidson of Britny Fox has two voices. One sounds like Brian Johnson of AC/DC with strep throat and the other is fairly even. Ted Poley of Danger Danger isn't particularly original. Yet he has some range and above all else he is consistent.
Round one to Danger Danger

Guitars
The guitarists might be the most known members of each of these bands. Michael Kelly Smith of Britny Fox got a little notice because he was in an early version of Cinderella. Andy Timmons of Danger Danger later kind of got a reputation of being a guitar virtuoso of sorts. Okay, Timmons is obviously a better technical player as his solos are better. However they are merely good and overall his playing is a bit cold and lacks any emotion. Smith doesn't play stunning solos, but he hits some nice rhythms here and there. More than anything he has some groove to his playing and some sense of excitement at times.
Round two to Britny Fox

Rhythm section
This means Britny Fox's bass player Billy Childs and drummer Johnny Dee are up against bass player Bruno Ravel and drummer Steve West from Danger Danger. Both drummers are basic, but adequate. However it boils down to the fact that I don't hear the bass on Britny Fox's album, but I hear it on Danger Danger. This probably has something to do with the fact that Ravel and West were the main song writers for their band.
Round three to Danger Danger

Production/originality
The production is generally decent on both discs. I don't hear the bass enough on Britny Fox and and the keyboards are a little too prominent at times on Danger Danger. As far as originality, let's see a band called Danger Danger has songs called "Bang Bang" and "Naughty Naughty". Besides that, they come across sounding at times like a mix between Bon Jovi and Survivor. Although they are steady to some extent, there were not too many original sparks from them. Britny Fox at times sound like second rate AC/DC (and I mean 1980's AC/DC). However at other times (Long way to love, Gudbuy to Jane, In America) they kind of come into their own as they sound excited and confident.
Round four to Britny Fox

Who rocks more
The most important round perhaps. Danger Danger were far more AOR than I remember and there is good AOR, but I think they play it safe for most of this album. Britny Fox stumbled at times (Girlschool), but they hit the mark several times too. Easy decision on this round.
Round five to Britny Fox


Ding, ding, ding
We have a winner!
Britny Fox wins the first Lesser of two evils.
This was actually fun to do. Going into it I really thought the winner would be Danger Danger because I remembered hating Dizzy Dean Davidson's voice years ago. However I really listened to them and found there was more to them than I once thought. I have six more match-ups for this feature lined up. However I would like to get a few more to carry it through the year. Feel free to suggest anyone you think deserves to be in one of these contests. I am looking for somewhat known hard rock or metal bands that were around between the early 1980's to the early 1990's. Be back with another one of these next month.





13 Comments:

Blogger BeckEye said...

I just keep thinking of that line from Beavis and Butthead about "night of the living bands that suck." I miss them.

I actually liked a couple of Danger Danger songs. I think they were both double double titles. Bang Bang and Naughty Naughty. What was their problem problem?

8:38 PM  
Blogger BeckEye said...

Oh, I must've skimmed over that part...you mentioned those 2 songs! Were they the only songs they had out?

8:39 PM  
Blogger Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

I really dig this idea, and I would've gone with Britny Fox too; Cinderella extraction or not, I kinda dug them in the day

4:54 AM  
Blogger MrRyanO said...

For me, Dizzy Dean made Britny Fox one of the bands I liked simply for his raspy gritty voice...although not half as cool as Tom Keifers voice. Now there is some real grit!

5:45 AM  
Blogger Bill said...

I remember quite liking the Britny Fox LP but not being able to get into Danger Danger until Screw It!

I'd forgotten about the Cinderella connection but you fail to mention that Johnny Dee was also the drummer on the Waysted Save Your Prayers release albeit with a longer surname!!

Adding that Britny Fox one to my must buy (again!) list....

Good item!

9:32 AM  
Blogger DPTH International said...

Good post, and great idea. I am unfamiliar with both bands, but have heard of them. Good way to break them down and everything. Looking forward to more comparisons.

9:38 AM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

Beckeye- I think those were the two singles of that album. I remember hearing Naughty Naughty a lot on the radio.

Ray-Britny Fox were better than i remembered.

Rockdog-Dizzy dean later had a band called Black eyed susan where he used his more steady voice. i have not heard it, but did just win a copy over at ebay.

Rock of ages-Screw it is more hard rock although maybe more like Warrant. I didn't know that about Waysted, but again that's Pete Way and he was far bigger on your side of the ocean than over here.


DPTH-Thanks, ther are more coming.

10:02 AM  
Blogger Hard Rock Hideout said...

I used to like Britny Fox back in the day, but I also liked Danger Danger.

I met the Danger Danger guys when they were on tour for their debut disc. They were pretty cool.

10:30 AM  
Blogger aXe mAn said...

What are you talking about??!
"The lesser of the 2 evils"???
Both of those bands (in my opinion) were fantastic!!
I am a big fan of both!!
I don't know why you don't like either of them!!
That is all i have to say about that.

1:05 PM  
Blogger David Amulet said...

Playing catch up here ... I liked some of Danger Danger, enough to pull this CD out once in a while.

-- david

4:37 AM  
Blogger bob_vinyl said...

Axe man, do you speak a language where "fantastic" means "derivitive"?!?!?

10:40 AM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

axe man-It's all a matter of opinion. I pointed out several positives on both. However both are somewhat generic. Danger Danger are a little dull and both have some creativity issues.

12:39 PM  
Blogger On My Watch said...

I liked both to a certain degree, but I couldn't admit it in public at the time for fear of getting my ass kicked.

Beckeye - "what was their problem problem" - - hilarious!!

Great topic idea though and look forward to more.

(suggestion: maybe Junkyard and Dangerous Toys)

5:11 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home