Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Interview with Tommy Stewart of Hallows Eve

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Georgia based band Hallows Eve formed back in the early 1980's. They played an early thrash style and cranked out three albums on Metal Blade between 1985 and 1988. They were also featured on the "River's Edge" soundtrack. They broke up in the 1990's but reformed a few years ago and released "Evil never dies". I recently interviewed bass player Tommy Stewart to find out more about the past and the future of this band.

MM-Why did you break up back in the late 80’s?
TS-That was the popular miconception. We didn't break up, lead vocalist Stacy Anderson quit. The band played shows through '94.


MM-What were you guys doing during the 1990’s?
TS-During the 90's I kept trying to put together a new line up for Hallows Eve while playing in small projects. Stacy had a band called Big Twin Din that made a respectable splash.


MM-What kind of impact do you think Hallows Eve had on the metal scene?
TS-I'm not sure that we had any true impact, but we were one of the first thrash bands as the term came. I can tell you we were the first thrash horror metal band that didn't use Satan as a subject. We were more interested in secular horror than supernatural.


MM-Have any bands that have popped up after the 1980’s had an influence on your new music?
TS -I've really enjoyed the death metal scene. I wanted to be heavier and heavier so death seemed like it was headed to where I wanted to be all along.

MM-How did your last album “Evil never dies” compare with your three albums from the 80’s?
TS-Evil Never Dies is our death album. Every band gets an experiment album and this was ours. Basically, Stacy was not back in the band yet, so I played around with it and you got a death-thrash album.


MM-Anything you wish the band had done differently back in the 1980’s?
TS-Wish I had said yes to that Ramones audition. Maybe.


(After reading this answer I wrote back and asked Tommy if he could elaborate on this answer)
Yeah, nobody cared about The Ramones back then and we had just signed a big, long deal with Metal Blade. Monument was the first album of that deal. Well, I met Joey at the Cat club in New york and he asked me if I'd be interested. Gave me a number. I actually said no, but kept the number. The next morning or so, Stacy quit and I called Joey's number he gave me, but he acted like he didn't know what I was talking about. That was in October '88 and DeeDee left in February '89 officially as I read later. It was just a moment. Nothing happened. I always respected The Ramones for the fact that they went to work. They didn't just tour. They were working class guys who went to work. I would have liked that part of it. That's me.


MM-If a fan could only afford to buy one of your albums then which one would you recommend to them?
TS-Death and Insanity, but wait till you hear this next one we're recording right now with Doyle Bright, formerly of Rigor Mortis!


MM-Do you find that you get more and perhaps better gigs around Halloween just because of the band name?
TS-We get double priced offers, but turn them down. We actually like to stay home during that time. our houses rock when it comes to cheesy Halloween stuff! Woo-hoo!


MM-What are your future plans for recording and touring? TS-Recording the new album with the latest line-up! Chris Abbamonte on guitar, Jimmy Gorman on drums and Doyle Bright on guitar and basically producing. With our lead vocalist back we're approaching this album with the idea of it being the definitive Hallows Eve album. This will be the best one and the one to remember

Thanks to Tommy for doing this interview.
http://www.myspace.com/hallowsevemusic

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Again a great interview. Normaly i dont like to read inteviews on the net, but that HALLOWEEN and this HALLOWS EVE interviews are cool.
Love this band, also EVIL NEVER DIES.
If somebody dont know this band you should buy their HISTORY OF TERROR 3 cds+dvd set. You get the first 3 albums, their demos and live stuff and later an increible dvd with 80s concerts. A buy or die release for any maniac.

6:44 AM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

I always liked these guys back in the 1980's. They were always a little different in their style of spped metal and I liked that.

8:19 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home