Sunday, January 04, 2009

Top ten albums of 1988 and other awards

Photobucket

I didn't get around to doing my normal top ten list of twenty years ago last month. So here is an abbreviated version

10-Holocross-s/t
Obscure Pittsburgh thrash band with a frantic sound.
9-Blind Illusion-Sane Asylum
Long running Bay area band finally release their one and only album
8-David Lee Roth-Skyscraper
A lot more of Steve Vai's style this time around and that was fine by me.
7-King Diamond-Them
The story drags more than usual, but another fine effort for the King.
6-Flotsam and Jetsam-No place for disgrace
The second and last really good album from these guys.
5-Slayer-South of heaven
It took me a while to get over the fact that this wasn't as good as Reign in blood. Eventually I realized how good it really is.
4-Helloween-Keeper of the seven keys pt.2
One of the two best albums in this band's long career.
3-Sodom-Persecution Mania
The second best band on the German thrash scene stepped up and knocked one out.
2-Cinderella-Long cold winter
Cinderella brought in their blues hard rock sound and improved greatly from their debut
1-Iron Maiden-Seventh son of a seventh son
It took me a while to warm up to this one, but eventually I realized it's greatness.


Oh and here are some other awards for 1988.

Best album cover-The one at the top of this post.

Most improved band-The nominess for this would be Sodom, Cinderella, Sacred Reich, David Lee Roth, Cinderella and Nuclear Assault. I'll go with Cinderella for their huge turnaround.

Golden Turd-Celtic Frost-Cold Lake
It had to be bad to beat out AC/DC's worst album and Van Halen's OU812. However this was a huge letdown and very bad musical direction for one of the best underground metal bands of the 1980's. It took me years to get over this and it damaged the band as well. They did bounce back with another good album a few years later, but some damage was definitely done.

There you go. At some point this year I'll do a list of my top 10 albums of 1989 and a list of 10 things I think about metal/hard rock in 1989.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like Sodom's Persecution Mania...though I only really listened to it this year...

Was slightly disappointed by South of Heaven.

And now for a startling admission...I'm probably one of a few people who loved Celtic Frost's Cold Lake. I heard Cherry Orchards, and bought the album and played it over and over...and it did serve as a bridge to get into Morbid Tales, To Mega Therion and Into the Pandemonium.

9:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have 5 of your top ten. I was wondering if you were going to do 1988 like you'd done other years from the 80's.

I know you think it's overrated, but I'd pick "Mindcrime" as my favorite album of '88, with honorable mentions to Scorpions "Savage Amusement", Anthrax's "State Of Euphoria" (not as good as "Among" or "Persistance", but not as bad as a lot of people think), and Megadeth's "So Far, So Good.. So What" (again, not as good as the album's that it fell in between, but it had some good moments).

For Golden Turd I'd pick Europe's "Out Of This World", with honorable mention to "...And Justice For All" (I know, but I bought it the day it came out and it never clicked with me like "Puppets" or "Lightning". I actually like the Black Album better!)

7:10 PM  
Blogger Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

a really good list, and I would add Mindcrime to it as well...I was wondering if you would soften your stance on South of Heaven...great choice of Skyscraper, which I listened to quite a bit the past couple weeks...def. my favorite Roth solo album

9:24 PM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

"and I would add Mindcrime to it as well..."

Operation Mindcrime actually fell out of the list. I went thinking it would make it, but had not listened to in years. There are some good songs and some filler. The story is rubbish and there is a dry feeling to many of Queensryche's albums. I think they try to force having emotions and it doesn't work.

3:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was just listening to Cold Lake the other day. The vocals and lyrics really kill that album.

I met Tom Gabriel Fischer two years ago after Frost played Philly and he was one of the nicest, most down to earth musicians that I've ev\er met.

2:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home