Friday, February 20, 2009

Thin Lizzy-Still Dangerous

Photobucket
VH1 Classic
2009



This show was recorded at the Tower Theatre in Philadelphia back in 1977. To me this was around the band's peak creatively. This live recording reflects that as the band are in fine form here. Thin Lizzy sound relaxed and comfortable for this set. My expectations for a live album are that I want it to be a little different form the studio versions. I may love the studio versions, but put some personality, energy or something of yourselves into the show to make it worth my time. If I want to hear the song note per note than I'll listen to that, but my hope is that on a live album that a band will either be fired up, take some chances or both. Thin Lizzy certainly take that approach here. It took all of maybe thirty seconds into the opener "Soldier of fortune" for me to know that this going to be a good live album. It seems like the band vary the tone and the grooves as much they do the pace on several of the songs here. There is certainly plenty here for fans old and new. They keep things moving an concentrate more on the songs as Phil Lynott keeps the between song banter short and sweet. Thin Lizzy were never overwhelming, but instead they made their point through a smooth and tight approach. I am sure they ever build up a great deal of momentum on this release, but it's solid overall. The sound quality is good and the band of course is in fine form. I wish that it had been a little longer. It seemed to come to an end just as I was getting into it, but still a solid album.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger The Mule said...

I oughta check this out.

7:17 PM  
Blogger Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Yeah, a little short, but that's possibly due to missing archive footage. Loved what's there, though.

8:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

can't wait to hear the whole thing. i thought i had it prior to the official release but it was only 2 songs. i have others from that same tour, soundboard recordings, that are phenomenal.

10:05 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home