Saturday, February 28, 2009

Top five albums of 1979

Photobucket

Here you go.

1-Van Halen-Van Halen 2
2-Motorhead-Overkill
3-AC/DC-Highway to hell
4-Scorpions-Loverdrive
5-Motorhead-Bomber

Metal was heating up in the UK as the NWOBHM was soon going to explode. Some veteran acts on both sides of the Atlantic had seen their better days. KISS were mellowing out, Aerosmith were sounding tired and Rainbow went against the sound they had established on their previous albums. Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin were touring, but they had both seen their better days. Hard rock and metal were in there trying to fight against other popular styles of music, but it was still a battle at this point.

I'll have my top five for 1978 up next week.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Ray Van Horn, Jr. said...

Holy shtoikies you narrowed it down to five? Whew, impressive.

8:33 PM  
Blogger John said...

I like these lists you're compiling here, but how could you leave out Priest's "Unleashed in the East"? Apart from maybe "Stained Class" I'd consider this their greatest album of the 70's (possibly of all time). The songs all sound tighter and heavier. Epic.

6:49 AM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

John-I only consider studio albums for my lists. I don't think comparing studio and live albums is exactly fair.

7:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home