Saturday, December 31, 2011

2012-The year of big releases or big busts?

I'lll be honest with you I read a lot of music blogs and music sites. I look at numerous sites almost every day. However it's always to read reviews both past and present. I rarely look at any kind of music news site. So I don't keep up very well with what new album are coming out unless the link is sent to me review it. However recently I heard some buzz about veteran bands who have albums due out in 2012. Now before I get into that, I have to say that 2011 saw some fine releases from some veteran acts including Alice Cooper, Saxon, Megadeth and U.D.O. However some of the acts who have new albums on the horizon next year may not be as promising. I am going to briefly breakdown a few and give you my initial predictions for these.

black-sabbath

Black Sabbath- Okay, so the original line-up is back together again and an album is finally supposed to happen next year. The Heaven and Hell album with the late RJD on vocals was quite mediocre. That was surprising considering Dio had been so consistent in his band. So I wonder how many ideas Iommi and Butler really have left? Add into that instead of a steady performer like Dio they now have to prop up Ozzy and hope whoever mixes this album can make what comes out of his mouth sound like words you can actually understand. Good luck with that. Maybe the music pulls it over and there is some magic left, but I doubt it.

KISS-Oh, look the kings of merchandise actually decided to record some music instead of issues more action figures and shower curtains with their logos on it. Although you know when the album comes out there will another onslaught of merchandise coming out to coincide with the album's release. Sonic Boom was above average and plenty of silly KISS fans ate the junk up like 1977 again. Really it was just a re-hash of their old style. It was better than most of what they have done in the last almost thirty years, but nothing special. I expect the next album to be another round of the same old thing as well.

Aerosmith-Remember the last time Aerosmith put out a good album? Yes, I have to think about that. Uh, well it's been a long time. Their last really good album was back when I was in grade school and I am over 40. So does anyone really care that these guys are putting out a new album? Probably not.

Judas Priest-Now a new Priest album should be a good thing because for so long they were one of the leaders of the scene. However things have changed. Two poor albums with Ripper Owens at the helm tarnished the good name Judas Priest. Yet we all thought when Halford came back that they would be back on track. Instead it got even worse. Two ridiculously terrible albums ensued. This band still acts like they think they are still the metal gods. Well it's been over twenty years since they have done a good album. Most of the material Halford has done outside of Priest since the early 90's has been decent to good. However with Priest it's been different matter. Now KK Downing is out and the band has promised ( or threatened) to release a new album next year. My hopes are that they get back to basics, forget about epics and concept albums and just crank out a solid metal album. I think they may have it in them, but the badness of their recent album has me dreading what kind of crap they will conjure up next year.

Van Halen-This one is a better to gauge just because no one involved had recorded much of anything in some time. Neither Roth or the brothers Van Halen have done anything remotely decent since the 90's and even that's debatable. Their reunion tour generally received positive reviews a few years ago. However can that translate to the studio? Are we going to get the natural follow-up to 1984 or re-hashed garbage that will make us wish Roth hadn't returned? Logic would say the second choice. However, I don't if it's because I am a fan and have some hope or what, but whatever the reason I think there is a glimmer of hope for this one. Not a lot of hope and I wouldn't be surprised if it stunk like a mound of garbage under the August sun. Still I think maybe these guys find some magic and release an alright album. We'll have to wait see.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Andy said...

I am with you on all of these bands Mark. None of them excite me in the least. Poor album after poor album has left bands like Judas Priest dead in my eyes. That isn't to say these acts don't still sound good live. It is just my feeling that some bands peak and after that the magic is gone. I look at Metallica, The Rolling Stones, Motley Crue and many others and I see acts that should have quite while on top.

1:25 PM  
Blogger non de guerre said...

Oh, such cynicism Mark! Those cheesy Kiss shower curtains just don't do it for you, huh. LOL

But that is precisely the reason my favorite band, Ministry, called it quits a couple of years ago, because old Uncle Al didn't want to look like a ridiculous old man singing re-hashed junk. Of course, he's changed his mind and they'll be coming out with another new album this year. Ah, the allure of filthy lucre.

12:44 PM  
Anonymous Tokyo Five said...

KISS, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest!
All of them in my top-five favorite bands!
So, naturally I'm looking forward to their new albums...and, of course, I have high hopes!

But your predictions will probably prove true...unfortunately. :(
Hopefully, though, you're wrong. ;)

3:53 AM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

Andy-I love for these albums to be good, but recent history says it probably won't happen.

Tom-Al said no more albums. Then they did a cover album and a live album, but apparently that didn't count because he just meant no more studio albums of original work...until now.

Tokyo Five-Again I wish all these albums would be good, but would be shocked if more than one was any good.

10:35 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home