Monday, January 21, 2013

Prowler-After You

Slaney Records
2013


Growing up I never heard the term "horror metal". Supposedly it was first used to describe the music of Death SS. Even if I had never heard it described in those exact terms I always knew that heavy metal and horror went hand in hand. Not so much in the way Alice Cooper and Kiss mixed the two (and bands like Gwar and Lordi still do), but in the way in which heavy metal has featured horror-related topics (serial killers, monsters, demons, etc) pretty much since the beginning. The two things have long been on good terms then. They have managed to forge a really good relationship in fact. So much so that new bands seem to be popping up all the time playing (specifically) horror metal. Myrtle Beach, South Carolina's Prowler (not to be confused with the millions of other bands world-wide who also have used that name!) came to my Inbox from of the one and only Metal Mark. He sent me advert about Prowler and, in a matter of no time at all, I was getting to know this latest horror-related metal band for myself. Here's what I found out. This 3-piece act was formed back in 2010 and, previous to this 9-track album, released four EPs. All of the EPs seem to have been based on particular horror movies (Friday the 13th, Phantasm, etc.) with this new album tackling the subject of horror in a much more "creative" fashion. In other words the songs seem to be more about horror in general and less about any particular horror movies. The other point of interest is that while the band is definitely horror metal is name they really have more to do (at least musically) with bands like Metallica, Slayer and, to a lesser extent, Danzig. It's a good combo package though. Thrash metal and horror movie related topics work well together. Not much more to it then that. Honestly I haven't heard every song off of "After You" as I am going off information gathered from here and there, but I've heard enough to tell you it's your above-average, standard thrash/heavy metal band with quirky lyrics and an obvious desire to have fun. All of that sounds good to me. You can check out a couple of their songs for yourself and order the album at the link below.  




http://slaneyrecords.bandcamp.com/album/prowler-after-you

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home